Conpass shut down. And if you have been using it, you are probably aware of the effectiveness of good onboarding, and you’re most likely looking for an alternative.
So for you, I will go over what Conpass was, and provide you with 5 alternatives to it.
- Briefly describe each tool and go over their use cases,
- Compare them to Conpass,
- Provide you with reviews from platforms such as G2, Capterra, and Product Hunt (if there are any),
- And go over their pricing,
So you will, by the end of this article, have a solid alternative to Conpass that is specifically designed for your needs.
I’ll start with explaining what Conpass is, what it does, and the problems with the software that I’ve experienced.
- Conpass doesn’t exist anymore. Here are the best alternatives:
- UserGuiding is a comprehensive tool that offers lots of features and great customer support for a surprisingly affordable price, and is also easy to use.
- Intro.js is an open-source library that offers some support in return for a price. It does what it promises but requires technical knowledge and time.
- Intercom is a customer support tool that also offers user onboarding. If you need everything in one place, it could be a good choice but bear in mind that it is going to be expensive.
- Wyzowl could be a different alternative since it only offers video onboarding solutions.
- Shepherd.js is just like Intro.js, but it is completely free, and doesn’t provide any support.
Click here if you want to skip straight to the first alternative or click here to go to the Conpass Alternatives Comparison Table.
What is Conpass?
Conpass was a customer experience automation platform that lets you improve the CX of your web product or website.
It helped you improve product adoption, collect feedback, and automate customer experience with interactive guides, in-app messages, and NPS surveys.
Although Conpass might looked like a solid solution for digital businesses, our experience with it wasn’t as pleasant as we’d hoped for. The product still needed improvements before it can offer the same capability and user experience its competition offers.
- Free Starter Plan: Free forever only for the NPS feature.
- Engagement Plan: R$342/month (roughly $65) for 400 MAU and unlimited interactive content.
- Customer Experience Plan: R$478/month (roughly $90) for 400 MAU and unlimited interactive content + additional indicators and analytics features.
There are no reviews available for Conpass online, however, you can take this article as a review itself.
Why do you need a Conpass Alternative?
As I’ve previously mentioned, Conpass is no more available. But even when it was, it had issues. Here are those issues şisted so that you can take them as benchmarks to what to look for in an alternative:
Conpass shut down
It is hard to invest a ton of time and effort in a tool to create something that works, only for all your progress to disappear into thin air.
Some former customers of Conpass left the tool because they were going to stop their services. So it wasn’t a sudden shutdown, it was planned.
And since there is no way to transfer your creations into another tool, if you were a user of Conpass, you might have to start all over again.
💡 A little tip: to make the switch to a new tool easier, use a simple yet capable no-code platform such as UserGuiding.
UserGuiding also offers free migration services for your in-app content created using other software to minimize your switching costs.
Schedule a demo with one of our experts or start your free trial now:
No code-free integrations
In 2022, almost all SaaS platforms offer code-free integrations to help you automate and polish your workflows.
Unfortunately, Conpass was not one of these platforms. Conpass only offered integrations through webhooks, and these types of integrations require a bunch of coding to get right.
Limited Features and Customization
As a product owner, you’d want your product and all of its components to look as good as they can be.
Although Conpass had a number of customization options and a few ready-to-use templates, the elements you could create with it stays basic.
The looks and the functions of the elements should’ve been improved, and more options for customization needed to be added to the platform.
Conpass has numerous bugs you might encountered during your daily use, some of which might ruined your experience.
During my first login to the platform, it took the welcome modal of Conpass almost 5 minutes to pop-up on my screen.
You’d encounter these bugs often in Conpass’s user onboarding content, which was created by Conpass itself. So, it told you a bit about what you can expect if you used Conpass for your own product.
Poor Self-Serve Experience
In addition to interactive guides for Conpass that pop up late, other self-serve elements in the product also performed poorly.
I found it hard to get information about the product’s functions, I was only able to use it because I’ve used similar products before. However, there were dead ends in Conpass’s UX that your past experiences couldn’t help you.
For example, I couldn’t upgrade my plan from free to paid without making an official request to their sales team.
Low MAU / Over-priced Plans
Conpass’s Free plan which only had NPS was available for up to 100 Monthly Active Users (MAU) and the paid plans started at 400 MAUs. Many businesses have much more active users than Conpass’s offerings, so if you were not a startup just starting up, you’d need to expand your package and pay more.
So, when compared to its competitors, on the same amount of MAUs, Conpass was definitely over-priced.
Top Conpass Alternatives
Now that you know what Conpass was and what the main pain points with the product were, we can go over the different alternatives for it.
Here are the top 5 alternatives to Conpass:
Let’s go over each one of the tools and compare them to Conpass:
1- UserGuiding – No-code Interactive User Onboarding
UserGuiding is a no-code digital adoption platform that helps you deliver top-notch in-app experiences, without the hassle.
With UserGuiding, without coding, you can create:
- Interactive user guides,
- In-app messages such as tooltips and hotspots,
- User Onboarding Checklists,
- Interactive Resource Centers,
- Custom user segments,
- NPS Surveys and more.
Compared to Conpass, UserGuiding performs much better in every aspect. It is more capable, highly customizable, more stable, offers more integrations and a much better experience than Conpass.
- 14-day free trial (no credit card required)
- Basic Plan: $89/month when billed annually for up to 2500 MAU
- Professional Plan: $389/month when billed annually for up to 20000 MAU with unlimited guides
- Custom Quotation Available for Larger Companies
“UserGuiding has great UX – very simple to use. In a few hours after signing up, you can start getting positive results.”
“They don’t offer free chat on their website but the team responds quickly via email and try to solve your problems as soon as possible.”
UserGuiding vs Conpass
- Simple to use ✅
- Easily integrates with Google Analytics, Intercom, Slack, Segment, Mixpanel, and Woopra ✅
- Stable and powerful ✅
- High MAU for affordable prices ✅
- Highly customizable ✅
- Completely self-serve and no-code ✅
- Has Interactive Resource Center ✅
- Poor user onboarding ❌
- Integrations only possibly through Webhooks ❌
- Unstable & buggy ❌
- Low MAU / over-priced ❌
- Limited Customization ❌
- Limited self-serve ❌
2- Intro.js – Open Source Conpass Alternative
With Intro.js’s product tours, you can offer a simple user onboarding process to your users without paying for monthly subscriptions.
However, the money you will save is equal, maybe less than what creating a user onboarding with Intro.js will cost you in development, because:
- Intro.js requires at least a few days of development and setup for you to come up with something significant,
- Its maintenance will also require developer hours,
- It doesn’t offer the functions a 3rd-party tool like UserGuiding offers, such as Checklists, Help Centers, NPS, Custom Segments and Analytics.
Intro.js is completely free for non-commercial use.
For commercial products:
- Starter license without any official support for $9.99,
- Business license with a month of official support and code review for $49.99,
- Premium license with a year of official support, code review, and unlimited projects for $299.99.
“I really like the Intro.js plugin because documentation is straightforward and easy to understand. This can work on almost any webpage using jQuery as an included library.”
“The library is definitely open source and free software, but at the same time if I want to use it for commercial use it seems I need to pay a license fee. Why is this required if the code is open source?”
3- Intercom – Email Onboarding, Support, Product Tours
Intercom, a well-known customer service and customer relationship platform, also offer product tours for automating customer experience.
With Intercom, you can offer live and chatbot customer support, engage with your customers in-product and through emails; and with the newest add-on “Product Tours” you can show them around your product without coding.
Intercom Product Tours can be a solid alternative to Conpass if you’re already using Intercom and want to unify all your CX efforts in one place.
But, Intercom when used with the Product Tours Add-on is a bit over-priced, and when compared to the likes of UserGuiding, what you can create with Intercom remains a bit too simple.
It only has product tours, as the name of the add-on suggests, and it’s just not sufficient for a complete user onboarding experience.
If you want to use Intercom with Product Tours add-on:
- Start Plan: $74/month for Intercom subscription (2 seats) plus $199/month for Product Tours add-on = $273/month Total
- Support Package: Custom quote on request
“I liked how easy Intercom was to install, without needing Engineering help beyond the time it took to insert the widget. I can update the user experience to A/B test all through the application.”
`Missing more in-depth analytics and editing an existing tour could be easier.”
4- Wyzowl – Video Onboarding
Wyzowl is a leading creator for animated explainer videos, who also produce high-quality customer onboarding videos for your product.
These animated explainer videos can be perfect for your product, if what you offer requires more showing than doing.
If not, you can still use videos in addition to your interactive user onboarding content to better illustrate your value. For clear pricing, you can contact Wyzowl with your video requests.
5- Shepherd.js – Free Conpass Alternative
Shepherd.js is a compeletly free Conpass alternative (open-source library) that works great for early-stage startups with simple products.
If you are just starting out with your digital product, and don’t have the budget to pay for tools or videos, but you have plenty of spare developer time at hand; Shepherd.js should be your go-to.
It doesn’t offer all the functions 3rd-party tools do, and you might not be able to integrate it into your stack, but with it, you can create a simple product tour that explains your product in a clear way.
As I’ve said, it’s less capable than Conpass, UserGuiding, and Intercom; but it is free and it has a compelling layout.
Conpass Alternatives Comparison Table
If you want to step up your user onboarding game, you might want to try a product other than Conpass, because Conpass doesn’t exist anymore.
- For more capability, more customization, better experience, and better pricing try UserGuiding.
- If you’re all for keeping things unified in one platform, even though it’ll limit you in functionality, try Intercom’s Product Tours,
- If you have a low-to-no budget but a huge amount of spare developer time at hand, try Intro.js or Shepherd.
- If you think videos would be more helpful to you in explaining your product, give Wyzowl‘s explainer videos a shot.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who should use Conpass?
Conpass is out of use, so, no one should use it.
How much does Conpass cost?
Conpass had a free plan that only has the NPS function, and their paid plans with all core features started from R$342/month (around $65) with 400 MAUs.
What are the top alternatives to Conpass?
The top 5 Conpass alternatives are UserGuiding, Intro.js, Intercom, Wyzowl, and Shepherd if you are looking for a user onboarding software.